Join a world-class academic healthcare system, I ngalls Memorial Hospital , as a Pharmacy Technician
in the Outpatient Pharmacy (DCAM)
department. As a Pharmacy Techician
, you will rotate through all work areas of the pharmacy department and work as a team player to achieve pharmaceutical care for the patient. You will fill first doses, restocks, and patient specific medications from the carousels. You will also perform monthly nursing unit, clinic and pharmacy area inspections as directed and maintains work areas.Job Summary
The Pharmacy Technician
prepares inventories, orders drugs and supplies from pharmacy storeroom, receives drugs and stocks shelves in various pharmacy locations. In the absence of the pharmacist, facilitates the timely distribution of medications by prioritizing orders, seeking out the pharmacist for checking when necessary and working to prioritize STAT order handling. Completes and passes required annual technician competencies in a timely fashion. Complies with all departmental, hospital, and regulating agency policies or recommendations. Complies with all state and federal laws regulating their practice. Prepares outpatient prescriptions. Performs cashiering duties and assists in the training of new pharmacists and technician employees in their work areas.Essential Job Functions
- Restocking and cleaning as needed, answers phone calls for triages phone communication appropriately and according to policy, collects quality assurance data and maintains workload records as required, performs other patient and/or drug related duties within the legal scope of their licensure as assigned by the pharmacist and/or supervisor.
- Prepares medications and supplies for dispensing under the supervision of a pharmacist including: prepackaging bulk medications by filling unit dose-specific syringes and vials of medications for both adult and pediatric patients, excluding non-antibiotic compounded oral suspensions and Grade One mouthwash unless competency trained utilizing the UCMC authorized Tech II training program. Compounds IV admixtures excluding chemotherapy, desensitization medications, high-cost biologics and pediatric IV’s unless competency trained utilizing the UCMC authorized Tech II training program. . Restocks CPR cart trays.
- Prepares inventories, orders drugs and supplies from pharmacy storeroom, receives drugs and stocks shelves in various pharmacy locations.
- Prepares outpatient prescriptions. Performs cashiering duties in the Outpatient Pharmacy.
- Assist in the training of new pharmacists and technician employees in their work areas.
- Performs other duties assigned.
- A high school diploma or equivalent is required
- Must hold current valid license as a pharmacy technician in the State of Illinois
- Minimum of one year pharmacy experience
- 1 to 3 years of general hospital experience or retail experience as a licensed pharmacy technician is preferred
- Computer experience and the completion of a medical terminology course is desirable
- Completion of an ASHP accredited pharmacy technician certification program from an accredited community college or successful completion of ASHP National technician certification examination within one year of employment
- Ability to work as a team player to accomplish optimal patient care by providing superior pharmaceutical services.
- Good communication skills to interact with patients and staff.
- Considerable knowledge of basic pharmacy practices and procedures.
- Considerable knowledge of medications and medical supplies.
- Good knowledge of record keeping practices.
- Successful completion of core technician competencies and subsequent yearly competencies.
- Considerable skill in working with attention to detail.
- Considerable verbal communications skills.
- Job Type/FTE: Full Time (1.00)
- Shift: Rotate
- Unit/Department: Outpatient Pharmacy
- CBA Code: 743 Clerica l
In this role, we anticipate that you will generally work approximately 40 hours per week. We anticipate that you will generally be scheduled to work rotating shifts, with hours Monday-Thursday 7am-3:30pm, 8am-4:30pm, 9am-5:30pm, 10am-6:30pm, 11am-7:30pm, and 12pm-8:30pm and will not be scheduled for on-call shifts. We anticipate you will be scheduled to work 100 % at the Hyde Park campus. The days of the week that you are scheduled will be Monday-Friday and 1 weekend a month.
Must comply with UCMC’s COVID-19 Vaccination requirement as a condition of employment. If you have already received the vaccination, you must provide proof as part of the pre-employment process. This is in addition to your compliance with the Flu Vaccination requirement as well. Medical and religious exemptions will be considered consistent with applicable law. Lastly, a pre-employment physical, drug screening, and background check are also required for all employees prior to hire. Why Join Us
We’ve been at the forefront of medicine since 1899. We provide superior healthcare with compassion, always mindful that each patient is a person, an individual. To accomplish this, we need employees with passion, talent and commitment… with patients and with each other. We’re in this together: working to advance medical innovation, serve the health needs of the community, and move our collective knowledge forward. If you’d like to add enriching human life to your profile, The University of Chicago Medicine is for you. Here at the forefront, we’re doing work that really matters. Join us. Bring your passion.
Bring your career to the next level at a hospital that is thriving; from patient satisfaction to employee engagement, we are at the Forefront of Medicine. Take advantage of all we have to offer and #BringYourPassiontotheForefront.
University of Chicago Medicine is growing; discover how you can be a part of this pursuit of excellence at: www.uchospitals.edu/jobs
The University of Chicago Medical Center is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, civil union status, parental status, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and other legally protected characteristics.